Friday, March 25, 2011

TOS Review--Big IQ Kids

I have written and then erased several introductions to Big IQ Kids, and then I decided that, perhaps, the people who do the program might describe it best.  :)  Here is what the Big IQ Kids website has to say about their fun online program:

BigIQkids.com turns your computer into an online learning academy by providing daily academic lessons for young learners in an interactive, easy to follow format. For the best results, children should log into BigIQkids.com daily and complete their lessons and quizzes. This “daily” strategy builds invaluable study habits, leads to better grades and greater self confidence.

Big IQ Kids has several subjects for your kids, including spelling, vocabulary, math, and U.S. Geography.  We especially enjoyed the spelling section.  They have preprogrammed words that you can use, but I used Amélie's current spelling words, and she absolutely loved learning her words this way.  Honestly, I have LOVED this program for spelling.  My daughter is under the perfectionistic notion that she should have her spelling words learned perfectly after the first day (I have NO IDEA where she gets that perfectionistic tendency.  Absolutely no idea.  HA!).  To have our spelling words deflected onto a computer program has been a relief for both of us.  For some reason she is less likely to argue with my laptop than she is with me.  :) 

We also liked the math program for working on concepts that we are learning.  The only problem is that we are working on two-digit addition and subtraction, and she never wanted to write the problem onto paper, so then she would get frustrated when she couldn't do it in her head.  I want her to process through the steps of these problems, so it didn't work so well.  However, she did enjoy using the math program for practicing her math facts.

We haven't spent as much time with the voabulary or the U.S. Geography portion of the program, because she seems to spend her allotted game time on spelling and math, so I'm OK with that.

One of the great perks of this program is that after completing each lesson the students gets a "coin" to play a game.  Amélie definitely like this reward program, and she will do even more spelling or math than I ask her to do so that she can play another game.  Works for me!! 

I definitely liked this program a lot, and so does Amélie.  I think that the program is great for practicing subjects that kids are learning in school.  If your kids are in regular school, this program would be a fun yet educational after-school activity.  If your kids are homeschoolers, this program would almost certainly provide a rich supplement to your curriculum. 

There are several pricing options available.  You can try out the program for free, and if you would like to discover the differences between the free and the premium programs you can do so here.  You can purchase a monthly subscription to one premium program or all of the premium programs.  You can even purchase a 12-month subscription and save a little money! 


If you would like to read what my fellow crewmates are saying about Big IQ Kids, check them out here.

Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew I was provided a free premium subscription of this product for my honest evaluation. I was given no other compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment